The Copycat Fashionista

Posted on Updated on

If you’ve checked out my Instagram or follow me, you may know I’m quite keen on copying looks I love. See exhibits A (courtesy Chic Street Style and Organize.Shop.Style), B (courtesy My Pinterest Closet) and C (Chic Street Style again).

As you see, I tend to gravitate toward one of my favorite bloggers, Brenna from Chic Street Style. She has a great eye for putting things together in a practical way, but usually with a unique, yet approachable twist. Not to mention, many of her looks are made up of affordable pieces for the average woman.

So, I decided to make a week out of copycat looks. It’s so much easier for me to see someone else’s outfit and say, “Hey! That looks really cute!” and try to re-create it…than to try and come up with an original look all my own.

Although I do get inspired to try new things and stumble across some successes. Exhibit D.

20131106-071838.jpg

My look has earned 52 likes and counting–that’s a lot for me, but not so much for many of the people I follow. I see people layering chambray tops all the time, so I decided to layer my chambray dress! A perfect look for fall!

One thing that is consistent in many of my copycat looks: layering. When I worked at Banana Republic and we had to dress “icons” (I guess BR is too sophisticated to call them “mannequins”), visual managers were always advised to “elevate” the look. Layer! Pop the collar! Accessorize! And all of the advice is so true! The ensemble just looks more polished, complete and “confident” (as confident as an inanimate object can be).

So, in the next few days I will be scouring the likes of Instagram and Pinterest, searching for my next targets. I will be a serial copycat fashionista.

At the end of the week next week, I’ll compile pics of all my copycat looks for you. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll surely get a sneak peek.

Follow My Blog with Bloglovin

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “The Copycat Fashionista

Baby T Fashion Diaries said:
    November 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I really love this! Especially that last look…the peekaboo effects of layering is always so chic and fun! You do it very well, and obviously have a great inspiration! 🙂

Budding Fashionista responded:
      November 25, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thank you so much!! I agree! Layering always seems to bring an outfit to the next level! I’m having fun trying to be creative lately. I’ll definitely be doing more pattern mixing this fall/winter. Thanks so much for reading!! 🙂

[…] I mentioned in my original copycat post last week, I love getting inspiration from other stylish ladies. It doesn’t hurt to get a […]

Rachel @ Grasping for Objectivity said:
    November 11, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I LOVE that Banana Republic calls their mannequins icons. Thank you for that gem!!

Budding Fashionista responded:
      November 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Haha! I know!! It’s a bit of an “eye roll” moment when you find out! Thanks for reading Rachel!

Anonymous said:
    November 8, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I do. I like that you take a practical approach to fashion.

Budding Fashionista responded:
      November 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thank you so much for reading! I try to be practical. It doesn’t make sense for me to try things that are uncomfortable to wear while working for eight hours or for running around with children when I’m running errands. Not to mention, my shopping excursions need to be practical for my bank account! I’m glad you appreciate my approach! 🙂

Netalia said:
    November 8, 2013 at 3:18 am

Ha! I wore an outfit similar to Exhibit B today!! Except my dress was teal & my necklace was multicolored. I love this blog!!!

Budding Fashionista responded:
      November 8, 2013 at 5:50 am

I love that you read it!! and you probably didn’t even have to copy anybody for your look! 😉 Maybe YOU should start ending ME pics!