I haven’t even really been able to update my wardrobe with new summer duds because of my no shopping challenge (which is almost over, Hallelujah!), but I’m already getting mentally prepared for the fall!
One reason why: I was recently invited to attend a ’14 Fall Fashion Preview at Belk, led by the VP of Trend and Fashion Direction, Arlene Goldstein. I was happy to see a lot of trends sticking around from last year (that’s less spending I have to do!)!
Here’s a little collage from the event, featuring Ms. Goldstein herself and super popular beauty bloggers, eleventhgorgeous.
Before I reveal the “most wanted” list, here’s a quick Belk back story. If you’re not familiar, Belk is a regional department store, based in the south with the slogan, “Modern. Southern. Style.” While it’s geared toward southern shoppers, their inventory is hardly exclusive to Southerners. After all, they were the sponsors for the Project Runway accessory wall for Season 12 (my inside scoop reveals they will not be the sponsors for the next season).
So, even though this list is coming from a Southern-based store, it certainly applies to all fashion lovers from all walks of life. This list is practical for every day wear. I’ll be doing another post with hottest looks from the runways in the near future.
Now, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. All of the following items are straight from the Belk website.
The 10 Most Wanted for Women (starting with my personal favorites):
1. Soft Pant – I absolutely love this trend. They can come in a wide range of fits and patterns–from softly structured to athletic inspired. I snatched a pair before my no shopping challenge and could live in them. They are so comfortable, effortless, yet utterly chic! Pair with a slouchy top for an easy feel or blazer/button down for a more work-appropriate look.
2. Longer Skirts – Anyone who knows me knows I love a great mini skirt. But, I can still appreciate this ever-exploding trend of below-the-knee hemlines. Now, just because the hem drops, doesn’t mean sexy falls off the radar as you can see in the lace number below. But the most on-trend silhouette is fuller and more voluminous. I have created this look recently, by hiking up a maxi skirt to give me that midi-length. It will do for now until I can shop again. It looks best with fitted tops (maybe even a crop top if you dare!) to balance out the fullness on bottom.
3. Statement Neck – If you think bling is designated for evenings out, think again. Statement necklaces are not falling off the radar anytime soon. Wear with any and everything! To keep it current, go for mixed metals. For an ultra-cool, not trying-to-hard look, pair with loose fitting simple T, blazer, distressed jeans and killer heels!
4.Fashion Sweatshirt – we’re not talking about your old high school gym gear. The must-have sweatshirt is embellished, cropped, graphic and/or printed. Pair with (#1 listed) structured soft pants and heels for a fun juxtaposition!
5. Over-the-knee boots – Step out with ferocity in these. I obsessed over these last fall and they are still blazing this fall! Don’t be afraid of looking like Pretty Woman. Pair with jeans to keep it low-key or a fit and flare skirt to bring edge to the flirty silhouette.
6. Novelty Vest – A bandwagon I have yet to jump on, but that doesn’t make it any less important of a fashion statement. Fur vests, moto vests, quilted vests, sleeveless blazers–all get a thumb’s up. I am personally still undecided about the trend for myself (partly because I’m not a big fan of “fur”). Go ahead, discredit me as a fashion source. But, must I remind you, I never claimed to be a fashionista! Pairings depend on the style of vest you choose: fur goes well with jeans and boots to trousers and booties, quilted vests are better suited for the weekend and sleeveless blazers are perfect for the office (pair with a longer skirt for extra style points!).
7. Creative Cardigan – If the classic twinset look suits you just fine, try branching out! Cardigans come in so many shapes and silhouettes, there’s something for everyone. I personally love super thick knits or a looser dolman sleeve. Wear with anything! Have fun with layers and textures!
8. Tunic Top – Ever the Fall staple, tunics are so comfy and easy paired with leggings or your fave skinnies.For a more updated look, find one with some asymmetry to it!
9. Midi Length Sheath – The knee-length sheath is a no-brainer. The midi puts you on the map! It looks so chic with a hot pair of heels!
10. Satchel – With its simple shape and subtle details, this classic bag captures an “of the moment” fashion vibe. Perfect to add a pop of color or classic finish to any look.
I love fall weather! I think it allows you to maximize your wardrobe more than any other season! But for now…I’ll be perusing the summer clearance racks first! So I’ll admire all of the new fall merchandise from afar!
For more on Belk’s fall trend report, click here.
What are your favorite fall must haves? Do you already have a head start on the season?
Thanks for reading!