Month: October 2014
I love spreading the word about great deals I come across. It’s part of the reason I started blogging.
–at Banana Republic, I used a store coupon (not credit card-related) and also got an additional 40% off markdowns to get two sweaters and two semi-precious stone necklaces for $46! The necklaces retail for $98.50 each and the sweaters retail at $69.50. $336 value for…that’s about 86% off! Pat on the back, please!
–online at Forever 21. I utilized a promotion for free shipping and 50% off markdowns to score these two necklaces and two bracelets for $13! I know it’s not Tiffany & Co. but come on, I’m on a budget!
And now, there’s an amazing deal going on in the Birmingham-area to keep those savings coming! A local organization, the Junior League of Birmingham, is selling a Shop Save & Share coupon. The $40 price tag allows coupon holders to save 20% at hundreds of participating establishments until November 2nd. They offered to let me give the coupon a “test run.” It took me less than 24 hours to put it to use.
I scored these pieces at one of my fave new boutiques, fab’rik in Homewood.
Those fierce, red caged sandals were marked down to $24. I got the tank as well because they were having a Buy One, Get One Free promo on sale items! So, with the Shop Save & Share coupon, both purchases were under $24!
I’ve also used the coupon at Old Navy for children’s clothes and for gifts. Yes, it can be used at major chains locally, like Old Navy, Gap and Belk.
It can also be used at luxury retailers that recently opened up at the Summit shopping center in the Birmingham area: Kate Spade, Calypso St. Barth, Kendra Scott and Lilly Pulitzer ! They were featured at a special kick-off event for the Shop Save & Share coupon. The 20% off could add up really quickly at these stores! Here are a few highlights from that event I attended on behalf of B-Metro Magazine!
Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to make a small investment to get a big return! If you’re in the Birmingham area, there is still time to get a Shop Save & Share coupon and take advantage! It expires November 2nd. A bonus, the proceeds from the coupon go toward projects that benefit women and children in the community. You can shop with a good conscious, knowing you’re helping others in need!
I used to think Pink really did stink.
I thought it was too girly, too prissy, too meek.
I thought it was a color that represented the weak.
But I gave it a try and began to think.
Maybe Pink does NOT stink.
I’ll try Pink with animal and feathers!
I’ll try Pink with neon and leather.
I’ll try Pink with a red hue.
I’ll even try Pink with florals, too.
I’ve dabbled here, and dabbled there. I’ve dabbled nearly everywhere.
Pink has grown on me, I must admit.
With my complexion, it’s actually a good fit.
So, now my thoughts on Pink are done.
In my battle against Pink, Pink may have won.
One thing I have learned in the past year of blogging: the importance of accessorizing. So, when I had a chance to partner with Kendra Scott for this post, I jumped at the opportunity. Kendra Scott gifted me a pair of earrings to review, but the contents and opinions in this post are my own.
I used to play it extremely safe with jewelry, sticking to simple gold and silver pieces. If I branched out, it was venturing into black and gold. Statement jewelry would be reserved for nights out and evening wear. And frankly, I never thought it was worth the investment, so my collection was not really much of a collection.
But I have seen the sparkling, shimmery light!
After following so many other bloggers and fashion lovers on Instagram, I have a better vision of how to incorporate statement pieces into my every day wardrobe.
Kendra Scott is one jewelry collection I have admired online for a while–like, since the beginning of my Pinterest days.
But I don’t have to ogle online anymore! The designer recently opened a store in my area, so I happily paid a visit. I was immediately impressed with the beautiful, fresh layout filled with baubles organized by color and style. The staff was also friendly, knowledgeable and well-dressed, might I add.
The designs are right up my alley! The pieces are not too flashy, yet they’re still impactful and perfect for enhancing every day outfits. There are also pieces that can stand on their own to dress up a simple T or add a finishing touch to an evening look. All of the jewelry is made with either real glass or stone, so the quality is superb!
While everything in the store was truly beautiful, one pair of earrings immediately caught my eye: the Rumer.
I was drawn to them with animal magnetism. They reminded me of a pair of earrings I used to have from one of my favorite retailers. But my old pair were poorly made and fell apart after a couple of wears. So, I just had to give these beauties a try.
They may not contain jewels, gems or a lot of bling, but they will hardly go unnoticed. The double teardrop shape allows for beautiful movement. Each teardrop is also adorned with gold beads (also available in silver.) The design is simple enough to pair with more casual looks, yet there are enough intricacies to support an outfit for a night out on the town. The quality feels exceptional. They are coated in 14kt gold. They aren’t flimsy and do not feel like they will fall apart after a few wears. They are now one of the most beautiful earrings I own and I know I will be getting a lot of wear out of them! I love how they look with this Calypso St. Barth dress I styled in a recent post.
If you like what you see…stay tuned! I have a Kendra Scott giveaway coming up!!
And, if you entered the Fab’rik Denim Giveaway….I’ve chosen a winner at random (technically, a co-worker drew a name from all eligible entries). Congratulations to Alexandria (acroom90)! Please email me at email@example.com so we can get you your new jeans!! Thanks so much for everyone who entered.
In a recent post about my Pink Bag Moment at Calypso St. Barth, I mentioned I was allowed to bring home one item. I said I’d reveal my selection in a future post with styling options. Well, the future is here!
I decided on this beautiful Fran Indigo Ikat Embroidered Silk Dress! And if you like this dress, there’s good news for you at the end of the post!
While I absolutely ADORED their cashmere selections, I chose the dress because of the year-round versatility I thought it would offer. Plus, as much as I’m obsessed with cashmere, it always kind of scares me because it’s so luxe and it’s only a matter of time before I (or one of my kids) does something to ruin it. Tears would be shed, I’m sure. So, the beautiful dress it is!!
I’ve styled the dress 3 ways, but the styling options go far beyond this post!
1. For the Office: The gold threading may keep some people from wearing this to work, but I’m totally fine with it. I tried to tone it down in all other aspects of the outfit–an ivory button down underneath, a neutral blazer on top and grounded with neutral booties.
2. Happy Hour: After work, shed the blazer, change the shoes and the look is less serious, more fun! I actually wore it like this to work. But I work overnights in the media, so the dress code is not as strict as say, maybe a courtroom or bank setting.
3. Date Night: Let the dress shine on its own! It’s really a beautiful piece with so many striking details, it does not require a lot of bells and whistles. I let my hair down, wore a dressier shoe, a gold clutch to match the accents in the dress and beautiful tear drop Kendra Scott earrings (so fabulous they’re getting their own post!).
Other styling options:
-with leggings and booties/knee boots (I would’ve shown this style, but it’s still just too darn hot in the south right now). pair with a loose cardigan for added warmth.
-as a tunic over skinny jeans and ankle boots. great for a weekend look!
If you love this dress as much as I do, it’s actually on sale! Plus, you can get an additional 25% off right now for Columbus Day Weekend! Score!! My girl, Brittany at the Calypso St. Barth location in Birmingham can help you with anything you may need. Even if you don’t live in Birmingham, give her a call and she can get your order taken care of with no extra shipping fees! Easy peasy! Just call: 205.262.2996 Happy Shopping!!
I’ve kind of been dragging my feet on kicking off this new part of my blog, but I’m finally pushing through and “getting ‘er done” as some of my Southern cohorts might say.
During Birmingham Fashion Week (previous posts here), I took a few snapshots of fashion lovers whose style caught my eye. I loved doing it and actually thought about doing this on a regular basis for average Joes and Josettes on the street–my own version of Street Style, if you will. After getting inspiration at a Bloganista Mini-Conference a while back, I decided to get on the ball!
Enter my new BFFs: budding fashionista favorites!
I was shopping at my local outlet mall when this young lady caught my eye. She probably has cooler style than me! This is Bryanna and I absolutely love how she styled such a cute print top with a fun skirt and added a little edge with the booties. Her glasses may be primarily for function, but they are certainly fashionable, as well. Her mother told me Bryanna may only be 13, but she certainly has her own sense of style! I’m happy to show off this budding fashionista to the world!
I have more BFFs to share! Hope you’ll stay tuned!
How many pairs of jeans do you own? I have about a dozen that I actually wear, plus there’s the one-day-I’ll-get-back-into-those jeans (don’t act like you don’t have any!) Do I need that many? Of course not, but when sales call, I must answer! When it comes down to it, I think there are less than a handful of “must-have” denim that every woman should own. I’ve highlighted different ways to style them with inspiration from some amazingly stylish bloggers (with links) below!
1. Boot fit: super versatile. slimming and leg lengthening. Who doesn’t want their legs to look a mile long?! Be careful with the length here! Make sure they’re practically skimming the floor if you want that leg-lengthening effect. Otherwise, your leg just gets cut off in a weird, unflattering place. Plus, I love the way they look with a pointy-toe shoe peeking out of the bottom. A darker rinse is best in this style, in my opinion–a lot easier to dress up.
2. Skinny– You don’t have to be a stick to pull off the skinnies. Some of my curvy friends have questioned if they can wear them. Of course you can! Most brands carry skinnies designed specifically for curvy women (just google skinny jeans for curvy for a plethora of other options) . Plus, it’s all about balance/proportion, no matter what your figure. If you have tight jeans, avoid a skin tight top with stilettos. Throw on a blazer over your fitted top and you have instant balance. Or a chunky knit. Or wear a heavier shoe. Bam! You’re done. Again, for the rinse, the darker the better for a cleaner, more sophisticated ensemble.
3. Distressed-They are so popular right now, every woman should have a go-to pair for a chic, yet relaxed weekend look! I seriously have to restrain myself from wearing mine every weekend. Some women have said, “I’m too old for the distressed look.” But distressed doesn’t have to mean ripped to shreds with giant holes–even a little bit of shredding that doesn’t reveal any skin is appropriate for women of all ages. Find finishes that you’re comfortable with. As for the rinse, I gravitate toward lighter, but pair with a comfy heel to give it that touch of sophistication!
4. Fun pair-colored or printed. It’s nice to have a pair that can liven up your look! It keeps things fresh and fun! Trust me, you will have a TON of options with a fun pair. Colored denim will give you great chances to play with color-blocking (one of my absolute fave style crutches). Patterns will give you a chance to mix different prints and, again, play with other colors.
My favorite style to wear in the fall/winter is, hands down, the skinny! I love wearing them tucked into boots or rolled up to show off ankle boots. That’s what I got at a recent Denim Dinner for bloggers at a new boutique in the area called Fab’rik (they have select stores nationwide). We noshed, socialized and tried on jeans! They gifted us a pair, so I am still on cloud nine about that. I took home a pair of skinny grey Hudson jeans since I already have a dark pair (side note: the back flap pockets in the dark rinse below are AMAZING if you’re trying to pump up the volume back there…like me!). Gotta branch out! Plus, grey is super hot this season.
I’m also sharing the love with you!! Fab’rik was generous enough to offer a pair of jeans for a giveaway! One faithful follower will choose one pair of premium denim (eligible brands, up to $100 value: Flying Monkey, Spanx or Fab’rik). If you don’t live in the area, I can work on getting you the right size and I’ll send them your way. U.S. shipping only. Rules for entering are super simple!
1. Follow my blog by clicking on the “follow” tab/link (if you’re already following, thank you! just skip to #2)
2. Comment below saying you’re following and share which denim style is your favorite!
***Bonus Entry Options***
–comment below that you’re following
The giveaway ends Friday, October 10th at midnight CST. Winner will be chosen at random and notified no later than Monday, October 13th. Good luck!!