The Budget Is Back!

Posted on

So, remember that whole “6 months no shopping” challenge I gave myself last year? I got a lot of positive feedback from it and learned a lot about my will power and my ability to appreciate things I have. All great things! But I have a dirty confession. I am now a statistic. I did what many financial gurus predicted. I binged! Oh, how I binged.

My no shopping challenge ended right before I went to San Francisco for the first time. So, when I got there, I shopped, of course. And I shopped when I returned home. And I shopped online. I hate to admit I was out of control! Where was that will power I had for 6 months prior?! It went on vacation, too I guess–somewhere far, far away from me!

So, what’s the point of all this??

To get my financial frenzy back on track, I’ve decided to do a “12-month no shopping challenge.” HA! I kid, I kid!!

Seriously, though. If you read the title of this post, you probably figured it out–I’m bringing back my monthly budget! My husband and I recently met with some money pros and we got realistic about our spending/budgeting. I decided to put myself back on my $150/month budget. It worked really well for me last year. And for some reason, I am better about saying “no” to a sale if I know I can use my budget as an excuse to cool off my debit card. For instance, “Hey, Vanessa! Did you see the amazing sale going on at XYZ?!” I would reply, “Yes! It’s so awesome, but I’ve already maxed out my budget for the month.” It’s easier for me that way. I know. I’m twisted. But it’s the only thing that seems to work for me.

How am I doing now? Before mid-January, I’d already spent about $110. While that doesn’t give me a ton of wiggle room, I do take comfort in knowing I have made some great purchases so far (y’all know I love to stretch my dollars!). And I still have $40 available to spend before the end of the month! I’ll definitely be posting my monthly purchase/budget results. It helps hold me accountable. Because, you know, holding myself accountable privately is just crazy talk.

Now, I know this is not some flashy post with a lot of pics, so I’ll leave you with a preview of two of my favorite purchases so far!

I got this dress from Old Navy (online) for $7.50! It’s now sold out, but the sale is still going on through January 10th and there was a lot of cute stuff I would’ve considered buying had I not been keeping my budget in mind ;). (See, it’s already working!) Use code: SAVENOW to save 25% off clearance prices through midnight EST January 10th. Normally, I am looking for additional 50%, but with these low Old Navy prices, the deals are already dirt cheap.

Old Navy
Old Navy

I also made my first Rebecca Minkoff purchase! It may be my first designer handbag purchase come to think of it. The Leo envelope clutch was $38 during a sale of 50% off markdowns at a local boutique called Soca. I LOVE it SO much! It has beautiful lining which makes me love it even more!

Rebecca Minkoff-Leo envelope clutch
Rebecca Minkoff-Leo envelope clutch

I can’t wait to share my other purchases with you…and I can’t wait to spend the remaining $40 of my budget! haha! Thanks for following me on this journey!

If you’re still with me, I have a little treat to share with you! I’ve teamed up with several other fashion lovers for an awesome giveaway on Instagram! We are giving away 3 $200 pre-paid Visa Gift Cards. Head on over to my Instagram for more details!

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “The Budget Is Back!

elenamichelle said:
    March 9, 2015 at 4:26 am

girrrrrrrrrrl i totally know what you mean about the post-shopping ban binge!!!! I’ve done the same thing. Props to you for instituting a budget.

xoxo, Elena Michelle

Liked by 1 person

Budding Fashionista responded:
      March 10, 2015 at 6:14 am

Thank you!! yes, the struggle is real, isn’t it?! it’s even hard to stay on a budget. But i gotta try! thanks for the support!

elenamichelle said:
    March 9, 2015 at 4:25 am

girrrrrrrrrrl I admire your will power!! good for you!! I know what you mean though on the shopping bans. They never work because I binge really hard right after!!!!!!!

xoxo, Elena Michelle

Liked by 1 person

Taylor said:
    March 9, 2015 at 12:54 am

I challenged myself to no shopping for 30 days and I almost died! I’ve learned I can’t not shop but rather budget better!

Liked by 1 person

Budding Fashionista responded:
      March 10, 2015 at 6:16 am

budgeting is totally better in the long run!! it reduces the urge to binge shop like I did at the end of 6 months! danger!

tohellinahandbag said:
    March 7, 2015 at 4:44 pm

That clutch is amazing! And what a deal! Chandler recently gave me a $200 a month budget but I blew it on the first month (February) I went waaayyy over it. Oops! 😉

To Hell In A Handbag

Adaleta said:
    March 6, 2015 at 3:57 am

Fashion budgeting is the best! I need to start doing that, but I just got into buying more clothes and less makeup (I have TOO much makeup) so I’m easing into the fashionista world! xx, Ada

kcurrierlewis said:
    March 5, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I love the idea of a $150 budget, I should probably set the same one for myself since I clearly have a shopping problem! I hope you do well sticking to your budget!

Victoria Galindo said:
    March 5, 2015 at 2:49 am

Ooh girl you and I both! AH SO much will power for 6 months! Props to ya girl. I need to come up with a system to budget myself. Great post 🙂

A LA PLAGE said:
    March 4, 2015 at 1:48 am

Budgets are so difficult! I put myself on one every month it seems. Great post!

Brenda

Budding Fashionista responded:
      March 4, 2015 at 7:33 am

girl. tell me about it! i went 6 months without shopping last year after i totally blew my budget a couple of months in a row!

Liked by 1 person

A LA PLAGE said:
        March 5, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I’m so impressed. I seriously wish I could do that!!! Xoxo B

eclecticmeagan said:
    January 14, 2015 at 2:42 am

I really should consider a shopping budget. I’m running out of room for clothes in my closet.

Liked by 1 person

Budding Fashionista responded:
      January 26, 2015 at 7:10 am

It is really a saving grace for me! It is so refreshing to know I have money left over at the end of the month for other non-essentials. When I don’t limit myself, it’s easy for me to just blow any extra money i have on clothing!