Month: February 2015
I’ve had mixed feelings about it in the past. But I’m definitely softening up to it!
It all started during My Pink Bag Moment at Calypso St. Barth last year. Their luxurious rabbit fur vest just got to me! It was so soft and I felt undeniably cool in it. But I’d be undeniably broke if I made the purchase.
Still, it got me thinking about adding fur to my closet. Just entertaining thoughts, not committed to making a purchase.
Then I saw an Instagram post featuring Kristin Cavallari sporting a fur vest and gorgeous Cassie OTK boots from her collaboration with Chinese Laundry.
The look is totally effortless, chic and just killer! I knew it was time to incorporate some kind of fur into my wardrobe (sidenote: I need some OTKs in this color, too!). But I didn’t want to break the bank at the same time.
Then my choice was clear when I visited South, a local boutique. A generous blogger friend gave me a $75 gift card she didn’t plan on using, so it was the perfect reason to
I immediately saw a rack of fur vests. But what really caught my eye was a faux shearling vest. I felt like it was the perfect piece to dip my toe into the trend without going all “abominable snowman.” I put it on and fell in love! And at $56, I still had funds to put toward something off the sale rack!
I was concerned about my ability to style it, but the handy dandy Internet came to the rescue!
Styling tip: just google the item you need help styling and you’ll get a ton of ideas. I googled “shearling vest” and a plethora of options popped up! Do the same for Pinterest and you will not be short of fashion “inspo.”
Below are some ways I have worn it in the past few months. Yes, I’ve worn it several times and have no shame in my fashion game!
1. I first went with an H&M black jersey midi dress and open-toe booties. I tried to make my hair look effortlessly natural to complete the boho chic attempt, but it just looked more effortlessly unbrushed. (p.s. I’ve since received a curling wand, so that issue has been corrected! Thanks to my little sis, April for that gift that keeps giving!).
2. I also paired it with the ever-necessary wardrobe staples: Banana Republic chambray/denim button-down, black Gap jeans, black booties and we’re good to go. This is an organic blog, folks so this dressing room pic was the only full-length shot I had in this outfit. And say “hello” to my little munchkin having a dressing room dance session!
3. I also paired it over an old burgundy sweater dress with Sam Edelman booties…. I found pairing the vest over a dress is the simplest styling option!
4. I really love it contrasted over black, so here is this color combo again. I wore it over a chunky Old navy turtleneck and quilted Dolce & Gabbana skirt for a Spring Fashion preview at Belk Department Store (blog post on that coming soon).
5. And let me not forget how I branched out and tried it with an animal print dress and booties!! Probably my wildest combination so far!
I’ve also discovered one thing about this vest I have yet to try–I can flip it around and wear it as more of a full fur vest! It does have pockets, so all I have to do is flip them inside out! I’ll be sure to post a pic to Instagram and Facebook when I try it that way!
Do you love the fur trend? What are your favorite ways to style it?
Thanks for reading! xoxo
I’m not a denim snob by any means. I have $200 designer jeans (that I did not pay $200 for!), but I also have $8 jeans from Old Navy. I just love jeans. That’s all there is to it! I’ve already devoted one blog post on denim must-haves.
Now, I get to do a denim review!!
Gap has introduced a new line of denim called “Resolution.” They’re supposed to be more in line with designer denim: flattering, slimming and comfortable (we’ll be the judge of that, right?!).
The manager at my local Gap at Riverchase Galleria said I could give them a try during a fit session and take home the pair I liked best. How could I say no?!
This opportunity actually came at the perfect time because I literally (yes, literally) bust the seams of my absolute fave pair of skinny jeans (which happened to be from the Gap)! Not because they were poorly made–I’d had them for several years and they’ve only gotten better with time–but winter weight gain/growing older weight gain/slower metabolism weight gain/post babies weight gain has been all too real for me this past year. I need to get a reality check and go up a size!
Enter the Gap to the rescue! I tried on 8 pairs. Some from the new Resolution collection, some were tried and true. All were priced at $69.50. But if you go in for a fit session, you can actually save 30% until February 11th!
I tried to get a few angles so you could see how they fit eeerrywhere (ya know what I’m saying?). But I was my own photographer and was working with fitting room lighting. It is what it is. Here’s my take on the ones I tried!
1: Always Skinny (classic collection, $70): They were the least soft of all I tried on. I definitely had to go up a size in these bad boys. But I did love the overall look. I believe these were the style of my old pair (RIP). I was wearing my boots for this first look, but changed to Gap slip-ons so you could see the full fit of each style.
2. Slim straight (*Resolution*): Very soft. A lot of stretch. Super comfortable! I can tell a real difference between this new line and the older line. They definitely feel more “designer” than the traditional Gap. Even though these are labeled as a slim straight, they still felt like a skinny jean to me. The ankle was definitely more snug than any other straight jeans I’ve worn. The butt flattering factor was decent (I think. It’s hard to judge my own backside). Still, I’m a fan!
3. High Rise Skinny (*Resolution*): Again, very soft and stretchy! Such a great feel! But I just could not get used to the high rise fit! I totally felt like I was wearing mom jeans. Although now that I look at the pictures closer, they don’t totally look like mom jeans. I know they’re a hot trend right now, but I’m not one to jump on a trend for trend’s sake.
4. True Skinny (*Resolution*): As in line with the other Resolution jeans I tried, they were also super soft and stretchy. I think the butt flattering factor is acceptable considering we’re not working with much back there! Side note: check out the Selfie Mirror background!
5. Always Skinny…again! (classic): Since the first pair I tried were SUPER tight, I went up a size just to make sure I didn’t love them in a proper fit. I felt like they lost some of the skinny effect in the leg and almost felt more straight to me. The hubby saw me in these and thought the pockets were too low. I didn’t get too attached. 😉
6. Real straight (classic collection): The Gap website says if you’ve never worn Gap jeans before, start here. I wouldn’t start here, because I prefer boots and skinnies, but I can see why they recommend the fit. It’s a classic style that complements most silhouettes. The fit was actually more comfortable than the Always Skinny. They had a decent amount of softness and stretch even though they are not part of the Resolution collection I liked them! Butt didn’t look too shabby!
7. Girlfriend Jean (new fit, but not Resolution): I LOVED these! They were super comfy, stretchy, and just easy to wear. As a mom, they’re perfect for running errands or chauffeuring around the munchkins. They aren’t slouchy like a true boyfriend fit, so I think it makes it more appealing to a broader group of women. While they can be super casual with some slip-ons or loafers, you could totally dress this up with a blazer and heels.
8. Legging Jean (classic): I actually really LOVED these! I thought the butt flattering factor was pretty decent. This was the first time I knowingly tried on a “jegging” and I was pleasantly surprised!
I didn’t try on any boot cut styles, but I can speak from experience the Long and Lean are super flattering and elongating. They have even been featured on an old Oprah episode, so you know it’s gotta be good!
So, what did I decide to take home?
I absolutely loved the Girlfriend jean. But I didn’t need that style right now. I needed a replacement to my busted out skinny jeans.
I was torn between the new Resolution Slim Straight and the classic Legging Jean. I was actually leaning toward the Legging Jean because I thought my butt looked better in them! But… my husband entered the picture swayed my decision. He really liked the Resolution Slim Straight. The manager said the Resolution Slim Straights were her favorite fit as well. While I firmly believe you should dress in whatever makes “you” happy, it doesn’t hurt to have a second opinion when you’re on the fence about something. Plus, in the long run, I felt like the Slim Straight would be more versatile in terms of style. They weren’t as tight as the Legging, so I think I made the right choice…. right?! 😉
I highly recommend giving them a try! Don’t forget, get 30% off your denim purchase right now until February 11th!
If you’re interested in trying any of the new styles or want to place an order, Call Allison at the Gap: (205) 985-0501!
Thanks so much for reading!