I’m not a denim snob by any means. I have $200 designer jeans (that I did not pay $200 for!), but I also have $8 jeans from Old Navy. I just love jeans. That’s all there is to it! I’ve already devoted one blog post on denim must-haves.
Now, I get to do a denim review!!
Gap has introduced a new line of denim called “Resolution.” They’re supposed to be more in line with designer denim: flattering, slimming and comfortable (we’ll be the judge of that, right?!).
The manager at my local Gap at Riverchase Galleria said I could give them a try during a fit session and take home the pair I liked best. How could I say no?!
This opportunity actually came at the perfect time because I literally (yes, literally) bust the seams of my absolute fave pair of skinny jeans (which happened to be from the Gap)! Not because they were poorly made–I’d had them for several years and they’ve only gotten better with time–but winter weight gain/growing older weight gain/slower metabolism weight gain/post babies weight gain has been all too real for me this past year. I need to get a reality check and go up a size!
Enter the Gap to the rescue! I tried on 8 pairs. Some from the new Resolution collection, some were tried and true. All were priced at $69.50. But if you go in for a fit session, you can actually save 30% until February 11th!
I tried to get a few angles so you could see how they fit eeerrywhere (ya know what I’m saying?). But I was my own photographer and was working with fitting room lighting. It is what it is. Here’s my take on the ones I tried!
1: Always Skinny (classic collection, $70): They were the least soft of all I tried on. I definitely had to go up a size in these bad boys. But I did love the overall look. I believe these were the style of my old pair (RIP). I was wearing my boots for this first look, but changed to Gap slip-ons so you could see the full fit of each style.
2. Slim straight (*Resolution*): Very soft. A lot of stretch. Super comfortable! I can tell a real difference between this new line and the older line. They definitely feel more “designer” than the traditional Gap. Even though these are labeled as a slim straight, they still felt like a skinny jean to me. The ankle was definitely more snug than any other straight jeans I’ve worn. The butt flattering factor was decent (I think. It’s hard to judge my own backside). Still, I’m a fan!
3. High Rise Skinny (*Resolution*): Again, very soft and stretchy! Such a great feel! But I just could not get used to the high rise fit! I totally felt like I was wearing mom jeans. Although now that I look at the pictures closer, they don’t totally look like mom jeans. I know they’re a hot trend right now, but I’m not one to jump on a trend for trend’s sake.
4. True Skinny (*Resolution*): As in line with the other Resolution jeans I tried, they were also super soft and stretchy. I think the butt flattering factor is acceptable considering we’re not working with much back there! Side note: check out the Selfie Mirror background!
5. Always Skinny…again! (classic): Since the first pair I tried were SUPER tight, I went up a size just to make sure I didn’t love them in a proper fit. I felt like they lost some of the skinny effect in the leg and almost felt more straight to me. The hubby saw me in these and thought the pockets were too low. I didn’t get too attached. 😉
6. Real straight (classic collection): The Gap website says if you’ve never worn Gap jeans before, start here. I wouldn’t start here, because I prefer boots and skinnies, but I can see why they recommend the fit. It’s a classic style that complements most silhouettes. The fit was actually more comfortable than the Always Skinny. They had a decent amount of softness and stretch even though they are not part of the Resolution collection I liked them! Butt didn’t look too shabby!
7. Girlfriend Jean (new fit, but not Resolution): I LOVED these! They were super comfy, stretchy, and just easy to wear. As a mom, they’re perfect for running errands or chauffeuring around the munchkins. They aren’t slouchy like a true boyfriend fit, so I think it makes it more appealing to a broader group of women. While they can be super casual with some slip-ons or loafers, you could totally dress this up with a blazer and heels.
8. Legging Jean (classic): I actually really LOVED these! I thought the butt flattering factor was pretty decent. This was the first time I knowingly tried on a “jegging” and I was pleasantly surprised!
I didn’t try on any boot cut styles, but I can speak from experience the Long and Lean are super flattering and elongating. They have even been featured on an old Oprah episode, so you know it’s gotta be good!
So, what did I decide to take home?
I absolutely loved the Girlfriend jean. But I didn’t need that style right now. I needed a replacement to my busted out skinny jeans.
I was torn between the new Resolution Slim Straight and the classic Legging Jean. I was actually leaning toward the Legging Jean because I thought my butt looked better in them! But… my husband entered the picture swayed my decision. He really liked the Resolution Slim Straight. The manager said the Resolution Slim Straights were her favorite fit as well. While I firmly believe you should dress in whatever makes “you” happy, it doesn’t hurt to have a second opinion when you’re on the fence about something. Plus, in the long run, I felt like the Slim Straight would be more versatile in terms of style. They weren’t as tight as the Legging, so I think I made the right choice…. right?! 😉
I highly recommend giving them a try! Don’t forget, get 30% off your denim purchase right now until February 11th!
If you’re interested in trying any of the new styles or want to place an order, Call Allison at the Gap: (205) 985-0501!
Thanks so much for reading!