I’ve had mixed feelings about it in the past. But I’m definitely softening up to it!
It all started during My Pink Bag Moment at Calypso St. Barth last year. Their luxurious rabbit fur vest just got to me! It was so soft and I felt undeniably cool in it. But I’d be undeniably broke if I made the purchase.
Still, it got me thinking about adding fur to my closet. Just entertaining thoughts, not committed to making a purchase.
Then I saw an Instagram post featuring Kristin Cavallari sporting a fur vest and gorgeous Cassie OTK boots from her collaboration with Chinese Laundry.
The look is totally effortless, chic and just killer! I knew it was time to incorporate some kind of fur into my wardrobe (sidenote: I need some OTKs in this color, too!). But I didn’t want to break the bank at the same time.
Then my choice was clear when I visited South, a local boutique. A generous blogger friend gave me a $75 gift card she didn’t plan on using, so it was the perfect reason to
I immediately saw a rack of fur vests. But what really caught my eye was a faux shearling vest. I felt like it was the perfect piece to dip my toe into the trend without going all “abominable snowman.” I put it on and fell in love! And at $56, I still had funds to put toward something off the sale rack!
I was concerned about my ability to style it, but the handy dandy Internet came to the rescue!
Styling tip: just google the item you need help styling and you’ll get a ton of ideas. I googled “shearling vest” and a plethora of options popped up! Do the same for Pinterest and you will not be short of fashion “inspo.”
Below are some ways I have worn it in the past few months. Yes, I’ve worn it several times and have no shame in my fashion game!
1. I first went with an H&M black jersey midi dress and open-toe booties. I tried to make my hair look effortlessly natural to complete the boho chic attempt, but it just looked more effortlessly unbrushed. (p.s. I’ve since received a curling wand, so that issue has been corrected! Thanks to my little sis, April for that gift that keeps giving!).
2. I also paired it with the ever-necessary wardrobe staples: Banana Republic chambray/denim button-down, black Gap jeans, black booties and we’re good to go. This is an organic blog, folks so this dressing room pic was the only full-length shot I had in this outfit. And say “hello” to my little munchkin having a dressing room dance session!
3. I also paired it over an old burgundy sweater dress with Sam Edelman booties…. I found pairing the vest over a dress is the simplest styling option!
4. I really love it contrasted over black, so here is this color combo again. I wore it over a chunky Old navy turtleneck and quilted Dolce & Gabbana skirt for a Spring Fashion preview at Belk Department Store (blog post on that coming soon).
5. And let me not forget how I branched out and tried it with an animal print dress and booties!! Probably my wildest combination so far!
I’ve also discovered one thing about this vest I have yet to try–I can flip it around and wear it as more of a full fur vest! It does have pockets, so all I have to do is flip them inside out! I’ll be sure to post a pic to Instagram and Facebook when I try it that way!
Do you love the fur trend? What are your favorite ways to style it?
Thanks for reading! xoxo