One of the things I love about being a blogger is connecting with other bloggers (who you can also connect with at the bottom of this post) and being invited to special fashion-related events! A while back (I’m ashamed at how long it has taken me to get this post together!), I had a chance to attend a Spring Fashion Preview event at southern-based department store, Belk. They always put on a well-organized and informative event. It’s led by the fabulous Arlene Goldstein, Belk’s Vice President of Trend Merchandising and Fashion Direction. What I love most is her breakdown of the latest trends as well as a list of seasonal must-haves! Let’s dig in! These are some of the latest themes you’ll see trending this season (all images are courtesy of Belk) :
Garden Party: Beautiful botanicals are where it’s at! Think, lace-like textiles, sheers, intricate appliques, embroideries, and crystal pleats. Flower-motifs are everywhere. You’ll see it in everythign from tops and pants, to shoes and handbags.
Sport Chic: This doesn’t mean your gym gear is right on trend! These looks are kicked up a notch! Look for performance fabrics like jersey, nylon mesh and scuba. They’re styled with perforations, color blocking and contrast zippers. Get inspired by pairing pieces like stylish hoodies, bombers, and joggers pants with more polished items in your wardrobe! Stylish sneakers are the perfect way to finish off the look.
Spare Me: (Not sure how this theme title goes with the concept, but just go with it.) We’re talking about architectural forms like A-line, columns and trumpet skirts. They’re in the forms of tunics, over-sized shirts and trapeze dresses. Expect unexpected fabric mixes as well. Bold accessories like cuffs, chokers, over-sized clutches, mini bags, and shoes with bottom interest will also be big!
Islander: This trend takes you on a trip without leaving town. Mixed island-inspired patterns, tassels and embellishments get an updated look this season. Exotic details include beading and embroideries with eye-catching bright colors. When it comes to accessories, think layered necklaces, arm candy, big gold hoops, statement earrings, head wraps and strappy sandals.
With such a variety of hot trends, what should you add to your closet?? Here’s a list of some of Belk’s Most Wanted pieces for spring.
1. Kimono: Still hot from last year, it’s a great completer piece to add a hip element to your tanks, dresses and shorts.
2. Soft Pants: I am so glad these babies haven’t gone anywhere! Joggers and palazzos are still going strong, but feel free to bring in my fave new friends–the gauchos and culottes–to bring your wardrobe up to date! I love pairing them with a heel to lengthen the leg since the length of culottes and gauchos can be a bit awkard.
3. Easy Fit Top: If you’re a mom, like me, you LOVE the easy breezy look. Looser fits are definitely on trend and update almost anything.
4. Matched Set: This is a trend I LOVE but find challenging as a shopper on a budget. I find it’s harder to get a great deal on these because they’re typically pricier sold as a set. Or if they’re sold separately, finding matching sizes can be difficult if you’re trying to wait for items to go on sale! But you better believe I’ll be on the hunt for affordable matching tops and bottoms this spring!
5. Longer Skirt: Another tried and true trend: midi, maxi, or just over-the-knee. Try updating the style with pleats!
6. Jumpsuit: Hello? Y’all know I LOVE jumpsuits. I dedicated an entire blog post to the beauties! If you don’t remember, click here. They are still going strong this season! Hallelujah!
7. Floral Dress: Anything floral. Go with it! It is THE print of the season.
8. Statement Earrings: Don’t think bold earrings are designated to the evenings! Try some chandeliers in spring hues to keep it from feeling like you’re headed to a gala!
9. Glitzy Sandals: Have a thing for bling? Well, step it up for spring in shoes that are built to handle pizzazz! Pearls, bold stones and sequins will add the perfect finishing touch to any look!
10. Look at Me Lips: I am just starting to branch out with lipsticks! I found deep pinks and berry tones work best for my complexion! But don’t be afraid to try corals or fuchsia to perfect your pout for spring!
If you noticed the title, this is Spring Fashion Preview, Part 1! I also attended another spring trends event that I’ll share in Part 2 next week. I love comparing and contrasting different trend ideas from different people!
Also, if you are looking for other fashion and lifestyle bloggers to follow, I have some recommendations to share with you! Just Click here for a link to other fabulous ladies I’ve connected with recently! Enjoy!